OPEN CALL for the "Dimitrije Bašičević Mangelos" Award 2017
OPEN CALL for the "Dimitrije Bašičević Mangelos" Award 2017
Young Visual Artists Awards Network
Remont – Independent Artistic Association from Belgrade – and the "Ilija & Mangelos" Foundation from Novi Sad are pleased to announce an open call for the "Dimitrije Bašičević Mangelos" Award 2017.
The "Dimitrije Bašičević Mangelos" Award is open to visual artists up to 35 years of age actively involved in art. It honors exceptional and outstanding ongoing artistic practice, which includes well-rounded critical and aesthetic thinking and implementation.
In cooperation with Residency Unlimited (New York) and supported by the Trust for Mutual Understanding (New York), "Dimitrije Bašičević Mangelos" Award is organized annually. It provides the awarded artist with the eight weeks long art residency in Residency Unlimited.
In 2017, studio residency at Residency Unlimited is organized in October and November.
The Award, which carries the name of Dimitrije Bašičević Mangelos, a significant artist and art historian and one of the founders of conceptual art practice in former Yugoslavia, will be awarded for the sixteenth time this year.
- The Award is open to artists born after December 31st, 1981
- The artists eligible to apply can either be citizens of the Republic of Serbia, or those whose artistic practice and professional career are recognized in development of the art scene in Serbia
- At least three years of professional experience / exhibiting practice. The minimum of completed graduate studies is preferable
- At least one art work realized in the last two years
- English language skills
The open call duration: from March 31st to May 5th, 2017
Registration is composed of two stages:
- Online, at the "Dimitrije Bašičević Mangelos" Award website: www.mangelosnagrada.org.rs
Online applications should include a completed form on the website www.mangelosnagrada.org.rs, after which you will get the e-mail instructions for the online registration and the upload of the shorter version of your portfolio. The form can be filled out here
- By submitting a printed portfolio to the address: Remont – Independent Artistic Association, Maršala Birjuzova 7, Belgrade, Monday to Friday from 12 to 5 pm. In case you are sending your portfolio by post, please make sure to clearly label the envelope with "for the Dimitrije Bašičević Mangelos Award" note
The printed portfolio should include:
- Name, surname, address, phone, e-mail
- CV in Serbian and English
- Visual material presenting up to 10 art-works. Videos could be presented by 1) copying a link(s) to an appropriate space in an online form (in case the videos are uploaded to YOUTUBE, VIMEO), or 2) by sending a physical copy on a CD/DVD to the address of Remont - Independent Artistic Association
- Brief texts / descriptions of works both in Serbian and English (up to 2000 characters with spaces per work)
Note: Portfolio in a form of PDF (maximum file size 5 MB) should be burnt on a CD as well.
Deadline for the online registration and submission of short portfolios is May 5th, 2017, 5 pm.
If sending portfolio by post, the postage stamp must be dated no later than May 5th, 2017.
The list of candidates and all portfolios will be fully available online on "Dimitrije Bašičević Mangelos" Award's website after May 5th, 2017.
The selection process:
The members of the jury: Ana Bogdanović (art historian, the Department of Art History, Faculty of Philosophy, Belgrade), Nina Simonović (artist, winner of "D.B. Mangelos" Award in 2016), Milica Pekić (art historian and curator, Kiosk - Platform for Contemporary Art, Belgrade), Janka Vukmir (art historian, curator, president of the Institute for Contemporary Art, Zagreb) and Stevan Vuković (art theorist, Belgrade) will select up to 5 finalists in the first round of selection and interview the short-listed in order to decide over the award winner.
The first selection round will take place after May 15th, 2017. The second round and the interviews with the finalists (in Serbian and English) will take place after June 20th, 2017. At the opening of the finalists' exhibition, the jury will announce the award winner.
All additional information can be obtained on the email address firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone +381 (0) 11 322 3406.
The award: studio residency in New York
The award winner will have all the expenses covered for the full duration of stay in New York (costs of visas, health insurance, travel expenses, accommodation and per diems) and additionally, s/he will be granted with a solo exhibition in Belgrade after return from New York.
Young Visual Artists Awards
In 1990, Wendy W. Luers, founder and director of the Foundation for a Civil Society, together with President Vaclav Havel and a group of dissident artists, first established the Jindrich Chalupecky Award in Czechoslovakia to recognize artistic excellence in young visual artists under 35 years of age and provide them with a U.S. residency experience. The Young Visual Artists Awards program (YVAA) was established over several years as an international network of similar awards with support of the Trust for Mutual Understanding, an U.S. foundation. Today 10 European countries are part of this network: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Kosovo, Macedonia, Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia. In 2015, Residency Unlimited (RU) was engaged as the organizer of the YVAA program and host of the New York residency programs.
About the Residency Unlimited
Residency Unlimited (RU) is dedicated to the presentation, production and promotion of contemporary art through a number of activities within the residential and public programs. Located in Brooklyn, RU functions as a sort of hub, dynamic space which is organizing meetings of artists, curators, art professionals, exhibitions, screenings and discursive programs. In cooperation with institutions, organizations and individuals in New York, the United States and internationally, RU initiated and developed various forms of professional support for users of its residential program in last several years.